Reflecting on a year that was: He will make a way

God will make a way, where there seems to be no way; He works in ways we cannot see ; He will make a way for me” Song by Don Moen
The probability theory is one that we learnt in school and apply every day. Sometimes the odds are against you. You reason out using logic and it seems there will not be a way out. Other times small actions make a big difference and we only realize so when looking back. When I woke up sluggishly and only warmed the water instead of boiling it was not a thought out action. As I shared in the last post I slid and fell on water. Sometimes wonder, what would have happened if the water was boiling hot.  And I was in that pool of water, scalding? That did not happen, and I believe in Godly interventions, and that was one of them.

As I sat in the car outside the hospital in pain and wondering on the next step I was thinking about home and my family. I was not sure how or what to tell them. At that moment I was more worried about how they would react and feel helpless so I postponed informing them. My friends and colleagues had made some calls and we were trying out to see what the best way forward is.  I applaud Christine for being calm and thinking in crisis, and from the word go it was about “where can we get an x-ray; how do we get her to Nairobi”.  The Yei Medical clinic was one place we were assured of Xrays. The alternative private clinic was miles away and on rough road and I was not in a position to travel further. By the time the medical personnel arrived the pain was unbearable and the leg was swollen. I now know that skin is elastic if it did not burst from the pressure.

I still shudder when I recall the process of being taken out of the car, to the bed; from the bed to the Xray room; from Xray room back to bed. That was the most painful moment of that journey. Sometimes before or after the Xray I decided it was a high time I alerted my family and a few friends. I called our youngest brother, Jose and gave him the task of assuring others that I was okay. (…because I was not...). What mattered was that I was in good caring company as my friends and colleagues tried to map the way forward.

At that time there was nothing to make me think this was more than a severe sprain on the ankle. When the X-rays were out, the doctor calmly informed me I had some fractured bones and I then knew there was something called fibula bone and other terminologies that did not make sense.  The reduction process was done and I came to, feeling groggy and cold. The whole leg had been immobilized but within a short time the pain was back.  By that time my friends and colleagues had made steps and I had been booked for a flight to Nairobi. The Eagle Air that operated from Yei to Entebbe operated on Tuesdays and Saturdays and bookings needed to be done about two weeks prior. The day was Thursday and but somehow I got the last seat!
I spent that night in hospital with Christine in the next bed. That was one of the interesting things, since there were few patients in hospital, they did not have restrictions on guests. The following day I went back to the house in preparation for travel on Saturday. Those two days were long and hazy. The pain was intense and we decided I take Betapyn tablets to ease the pain since the injections and pain killers given at the hospital seemed not to be working.  I was to later find out Betapyn was not to be in my prescriptions anymore.

The journey from Yei via Entebbe to Nairobi was the longest I have had. I also got a taste of the life that people with physical impairments face. My two wooden crutches and immobilized leg were quite conspicuous and I got some good Samaritans wishing me well. I particular remember one lady at the Entebbe airport who encouraged and declared “you will be on your feet young lady, you will not be confined to that wheel chair.” Another one asked if she could pray with me. An image of a role play that is done at the Alabastron open day struck me. There are many people suffering emotional wounds but since we cannot see them, we do not empathize or help them. While I appreciated the kind gestures and was greatly encouraged, I knew there are many other people who had emotional pains and wished someone would speak to them, smile at them, and give encouraging words.
My family members were waiting for me at the Nairobi at the JKIA (Jomo Kenyatta International Airport). When they called wondering if we have landed since it had been almost one hour after scheduled landing time, I told them “I am in Mombasa”. They thought I was joking. And I suspect silently wondered “is she that sick that she thinks this is Mombasa, or she went to Mombasa?”

Yes we had landed in Mombasa. The flight had been slightly delayed in Entebbe. Ten minutes before landing the captain informed us that we were actually going round (in circles he should have added) at Athi River as there were debris being cleared at the run way. When we were finally cleared to land the plane descended to the ground and just before the wheels hit the ground it started going up. Nobody spoke. Nobody screamed. We were all silent. May be too shocked to talk or scream. We could not see outside due to very heavy fog. The captain later informed us that we were heading to Mombasa. The flight could not land due to poor visibility. Neither could it attempt again as we had already spent time in the air so low on fuel.

With all the pain, we landed in Mombasa instead of Nairobi. But we got back to Nairobi, and God continued making a way for me in more ways than I can write. 

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to my son

With a smile, life is beautiful

What did she do to deserve it? Victims’ blaming